Sunday, April 5, 2015

Week 1: Two Cultures

"The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution" highlights a growing separation between the scientific and artistic lifestyles, a divide that has grown rather prevalent in my life. Snow points out how each culture holds stereotypes about the other, and the ones that are retained throughout the years are the more negative viewpoints. His concern that the two are separating even further is warranted - I have noticed on the UCLA campus that "South Campus" majors (Science, Engineering) hold some negative stigmas about "North Campus" majors (Humanities), and the same can be said for vice versa as well.

An artist's interpretation of the cross between science and art.
In these two large, mostly separate circles of influence I believe there lies a fairly popular common ground: science fiction. This small overlap of science and fantasy allows for the creativity of the improbable to blend with the science of alternate realities. I think science fiction is a great bridge between the two, and I think it negotiates "the gap between the canon of rationality and the fluid poetic" as said in Vesna's "Toward a Third Culture: Being in between." This article speaks towards the communication between scientists and humanists, a relationship I feel is particularly strong in this particular culture.
A starship from recent sic-fi film Guardians of the Galaxy

My brother and I in Alaska
I come from a family that is divided between the two cultures. My brother pursues Animation and Graphic Design, while I attempt to walk the path of medicine and biology. As a "left-minded" thinker, I like to analyze everything that I do, sometimes to my detriment. As a "right-minded" person, my brother has extremely creative ideas although he often does not account for the practicality of his ideas. A major motivation for taking this class is to learn how science and art can better co-exist so that my family can have more in common.


References:

Cullen, E. "Science vs Arts: Is There Any Contest?" universitytimes.ie 23 Oct 2013. Web. 03 Apr 2015 

Leong, S. "College Boys in Alaska." 07 July 2013. Web. 04 Apr 2015

McWeeny, D. "Star-Lord' and his spaceship are front and center in New Guardians of the Galaxy Images." hitfix.com. 17 Feb 2014. Web. 03 Apr 2015

Snow, C. P. “Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution.” Reading. 1959. New York: Cambridge UP, 1961. Print.

Vesna, Victoria. “Toward a Third Culture: Being in Between.” Leonardo 34.2 (2001): 121-25. Web.

3 comments:

  1. It is interesting to me that you would consider right minded and left minded people. I think that it is an important for us to continue to attempt to understand the other people on our campus (north vs south campus). As a fellow south campuser it is important for us to try and sympathize with our fellow students on the north side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it interesting how you mentioned science fiction to be a common ground between the strict sciences and the finesse of the arts. It brings me the idea that to hopefully improve the communication between north and south campus, projects like creating science fiction playwrights or other forms of arts. The left minded and right minded is familiar to me as I am often said to be very left minded. Like you said,observing the more right minded has increased my appreciation for their views and methods as they can think out side of the box rather than within the strict parameters of the sciences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it interesting how you mentioned science fiction to be a common ground between the strict sciences and the finesse of the arts. It brings me the idea that to hopefully improve the communication between north and south campus, projects like creating science fiction playwrights or other forms of arts. The left minded and right minded is familiar to me as I am often said to be very left minded. Like you said,observing the more right minded has increased my appreciation for their views and methods as they can think out side of the box rather than within the strict parameters of the sciences.

    ReplyDelete